Monday, July 28, 2014

Blueberry Muffins

We have had such a busy summer so far.  I really can't believe that July is almost over.  We have enjoyed lots of visits with lots of family members plus some fun summer activities like camp and swim lessons.  I haven't worried about my weight at all.  I have been trying really hard to stay away from any processed white sugar; however, there are times when I just allow myself to enjoy a treat that is really part of the moment.  Like the key lime custard we enjoyed after a fabulous family trip to the temple in Detroit.  It was amazing and worth every last molecule of sugar.  I am finding that one small item (like a fabulous custard cone) enjoyed once or twice a month doesn't seem to have the same effect on me anymore.  No more binges or horrible cravings.  Overall, I have felt good about my eating.  I could certainly include more vegetables; but then who couldn't?!  My weight has stabilized and has remained exactly the same the last three times I have weighed myself over the span of about 10 days.  And I mean exactly the same amount right down to the _ _ _ .7 which is really kind of crazy.  But I am thrilled with how I feel and the progress we have all made as a family.

Although it has been a cool summer, we finally have ripe blueberries to pick.  We love to pick and enjoy blueberries.  Here are two of our favorite recipes converted to use dextrose with nary a complaint from the family.

Blueberry Muffins

Batter:

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup dextrose
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup light olive oil
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Combine flour, dextrose, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl.  Combine oil, eggs and milk in separate bowl and whisk together.  Stir oil mixture into flour mixture just until moistened then fold in blueberries.  Spoon mixture evenly into 12 lined muffins cups.

Topping:

1/2 cup dextrose
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Combine dextrose, flour and cinnamon for topping.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.  Sprinkle mixture evenly over muffin batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Note: We try to make sure that we pick enough blueberries to keep a supply in the freezer.  When making this recipe using frozen berries, don't worry about thawing the berries, just give them a quick rinse and they will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment